On the eve of R2, a look back at the first phase
10. In total, 13 men’s teams and 15 women’s teams earned a qualification to the Hockey World League round 2 after taking part in 14 Round 1 events.
9. The lowest ranked team to make it through to Round 2 on the men’s side was #71 Fiji. The lowest ranked women’s team was also Fiji, ranked #59.
8. In total, 62 men’s and women’s national teams took part in the Round 1 events. The tournaments were hosted on all five Continents with Europe hosting the most teams, 25, in its five events.
7. The Belgian women were the only team at the 2012 Olympics to take part in a Round 1 tournament. They are also the highest-ranked team to make it through to the second round, weighing in at #12.
6. The highest-ranked men’s team that moved onto Round 2 was Ireland, currently 15th in the FIH World Ranking.
5. The first-ever World League game was played in Prague, Czech Republic. The Scottish women topped Turkey, 12-1.
4. Fiji vs. Vanuatu produced the most lopsided results for the both the men and women in all of the Round 1 games. The Fiji women topped Vanuatu, 17-1, while the Fiji men earned a 17-2 win. The Belarus women also had a 17-1 victory, coming against Turkey.
3. Three women’s Round 1 champions came out with a goal difference of +30 or better. Malaysia was right on the mark at +30, Canada earned a +38 and Fiji topped all teams with an impressive +41 in just three matches. Scotland and USA were the most convincing men’s champions. Scotland had a +30 goal difference and the Americans came away with a +24 difference in their victory on home field.
2. Despite the gap in World Ranking positions, there were still several close games throughout the Round 1. In total, seven games went to a shootout. Five of those games were on the men’s side and the other two were in the women’s games.
1. All six of the women’s nations that hosted a Round 1 event earned a berth to Round 2. On the men’s side the success rate was almost 50 percent with four of the nine host nations moving onto Round 2.Back