Owen G Glenn Champions Trophy Auckland 2011
Auckland, New Zealand - December 3 - 11, 2011

GBR V GER ( Pool D ) Owen G Glenn Champions Trophy Auckland 2011

1 - 2

Match Review GBR - GER 1-2

Late Montag missile rocket downs Great Britain
Pool D - Germany 2-1 Gret Britain

A vastly improved performance from Great Britain was harshly punished as a last gasp penalty corner from Jan-Marco Montag gave Germany a 2-1 win which puts them top of Pool D overnight. With the scores locked at 1-1, Montag sent a glorious penalty corner flick into the roof of the James Fair’s goal to break British hearts in the second match of the day here in Auckland.

Great Britain started the game nervously, clearly still hurting from Tuesday’s shattering 8-1 defeat against Spain. The Germans were determined to draw first blood, and did just that when in the 4th minute Martin Zwicker showed a calm head to flick into the goal following excellent work down the right from Benjamin Wess.

The Brits battled well after conceding and eventually dragged themselves level when a fine attacking move was finished off by Glenn Kirkham. The British captain produced a sublime first touch to control a pass into the circle before crashing the ball through the legs of Germany keeper Nico Jacobi to tie up the scores.

Both sides had fine chances move ahead before the break, with Oskar Deecke going closest with a shot from the right that was spectacularly cleared off the line by Great Britain’s Adam Dixon.

A blistering penalty corner flick from Jan-Marco Montag almost re-established the German lead in the 46th minute, but James Fair produced a magnificent stick save to force the ball around the post.

Great Britain dominated the latter stages of the game and would surely have taken the lead were it not for some incredible defending from Germany, most memorably when Pilt Arnold batted Ashley Jackson’s goal-bound penalty corner away to safety in the 67th minute. Jackson again went close a minute later when he worked his way along the backline from the right but could only find the side-netting with his flick-shot.

Germany won the first of two penalty corners in the final minute of the game, the first of which was well blocked by the British defenders but only resulted in the award of a second PC.  With time expired, Jan-Marco Montag’s slammed a wonderful flick into the top of the Great Britain net to seal all three points for Germany. 

  • Match 14
  • Date Thu, 8 Dec 2011
  • Time 14:05
  • Pool/Class Pool D
  • Venue

Our website uses cookies

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the FIH website. To find out more about our data policy please click here