Owen G Glenn Champions Trophy Auckland 2011
Auckland, New Zealand - December 3 - 11, 2011

GBR V AUS ( Pool A ) Owen G Glenn Champions Trophy Auckland 2011

1 - 4

Match Review GBR - AUS 1-4

Kookaburras hit form with victory over Great Britain
Great Britain 1-4 Australia

World number 1 ranked Australia were back to their brilliant best in the first match of Day 2 here at the Owen G Glenn FIH Champions Trophy, cruising to a 4-1 victory over Great Britain. Goals from Matthew Butturini, Matt Gohdes, Jamie Dwyer and Luke Doerner gave the Kookaburras a win that sees them stay top of Pool A.

Australia were very much in charge for long periods of a physical first half, with Great Britain being forced onto the back foot by the high pressing Kookaburras. The world number one tam had clearly come out with the intention of putting Saturday’s lacklustre victory over Spain well and truly behind them, and they were rewarded for their endeavour six minutes into the game when Matthew Butturini established a 1-0 lead. A superb, defence splitting pass from Fergus Kavanagh found the unmarked Butturini who managed to beat Great Britain keeper James Fair at his near post.

Great Britain had a great chance to pull themselves level midway through the half when evergreen attacker Mark Pearn worked his way into the Australian circle and won a penalty corner. However, the chance went begging when first Mark Gleghorne and then James Tindall failed to find a way past Kookaburras keeper George Bazeley.

The second Australian goal arrived in the 22nd minute following another spell of intense pressure on the Great Britain goal. Matt Gohdes was the scorer, drilling a low effort into the bottom left corner that gave Fair absolutely no chance of saving. The Kookaburras could easily have scored further goals in the dying stages of the half, with Jamie Dwyer and Eddie Ockenden both going close.

The second half was far more evenly contested, but it was the Aussies who created the clearest goal scoring opportunities in the early stages of the period and would surely have been further ahead were it not for some heroics from the outstanding James Fair.

With fifteen mintues to go, Great Britain pulled themselves back into the game Simon Mantell picked up the ball on the left before beating Australia defender Matthew Swann and firing home.  However, it took Australia just two minutes to find a reply, with a diving Jamie Dwyer netting his third goal of the tournament from close range. Dwyer’s strike certainly knocked the wind out of the British sails, and the impressive Australians took control of the game once more. The result was put beyond doubt when Luke Doerner sent a penalty corner drag-flick into the goal with just two minutes of the match remaining.

The performance showed that Australia – winners of the last three FIH Champions Trophy tournaments – are very much firing on all cylinders once again, which could be ominous for the rest of the teams here in Auckland. 

  • Match 05
  • Date Mon, 5 Dec 2011
  • Time 10:05
  • Pool/Class Pool A
  • Venue

Our website uses cookies

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the FIH website. To find out more about our data policy please click here