By Graciela H. Ortiz

Argentina 2 defeated England 1
Argentina has qualified for the final of the women's four nation tournament in Cordoba after defeating England 2-1 at the Country El Bosque of Club La Tablada on Wednesday night.

Argentina leads the standings with full points after two matches, followed by Netherlands with two, and England and Australia with one.

Argentina attacked from the beginning and produced the first chance in the fourth minute when Mariné Russo stole the ball but England goalkeeper Beth Storry saved.

Thanks to their speed and good combinations, England worked their way into the contest and the match was one with good rhythm.

However, it was Argentina who created the best scoring chances and in the 19th minute local Soledad García connected a penalty corner rebound, but keeper Storry saved again in style.

England defender Crista Cullen cut her left eyebrow and had to leave the pitch until the end of the first half but the visitors produced two dangerous counter attacks in the 25th and 27th minutes, through Helen Grant and Jennie Bimson. However Argentina goalkeeper Paola Vukojicic and the defence covered the danger.

Argentina continued to attack and in the 30th minute Natalí Doreski capitalised on a cross from María de la Paz Hernández.

The second half became mediocre as both teams tightened their marking and there was little risk in front of goals.

Argentina again produced the best opportunity when García shot wide after a brilliant solo play by Luciana Aymar in the 50th minute.

Seven minutes before the final whistle, Argentina increased the gap through García, who scored after a cross from the right by Alejandra Gulla.

Finally, England's efforts were rewarded in the 68th minute when captain Kate Walsh scored from a penalty corner.

Thursday is a rest day. On Friday, Argentina will face the Netherlands, while Australia will go for their first victory against England.

Netherlands 1 drew Australia 1
In the earlier match, Netherlands drew 1-1 again - this time against Australia.

Netherlands appeared more attacking from the start, netting in the first minute through a penalty corner flick shot by Kim Lammers.

Australia's tactics changed after half-time as they pressed the Netherlands before Suzie Faulkner equalised after a wonderful solo play in the 52nd minute.

From then on, the match became even for a final fair result.