With just 9 days to go we look at some of the talent that will be gracing the pitches at Kyocera and GreenFields Stadium for the upcoming Rabobank Hockey World Cup 2014. After a highlight inaugural season of the Hockey World League some of the world’s best have given us a preview of what we can expect for the upcoming 76-match men’s and women’s event. Top off some stand-out performances at the men’s and women’s Junior World Cup’s and we expect a star-studded line up of hockey players that are set to entertain the world. In honour of our 9 days count down, let’s take a look at 9 great YouTube videos of great goals scored.
1. Hockey World League final, The Netherlands v Australia. This goal by Lidewij Welten is a study in persistence. She picks the ball up on her own half and then does battle with the entire Australian defence before slotting th ball home to ensure The Netherlands victory.
2. Hockey World League final, England v New Zealand. In this super goal, Alex Danson picks up the ball in the left-hand corner of the pitch, jinks into the circle and then, throwing herself full-length at the ball, puts it past the keeper.
3. Hockey World League final, Korea v Germany. A study in finishing, Mi Hyun Park received the ball on the right-hand edge of the circle, and with clinical precision drilled it into the left-hand top corner of the goal.
4. Hockey World League final, Belgium v The Netherlands. Felix Denayer made no mistakes in this game against The Netherlands. Receiving the ball on the edge of the circle he shot home from a seemingly impossible angle.
5. Hockey World League final, England v New Zealand. This was a tense shoot-out to win a place in the finals of the Hockey World League, which made Simon Childs' goal was all the more impudent. His first shot was blocked but he picked up the rebound and scooped it over the goalkeeper's head to secure the Black Sticks place in the final.
6. Hockey World League final, Argentina v The Netherlands. Facundo Callioni threw himself full length upon the ground and slid towards goal, latching on to a cross that had divided the Netherland's defence. The fact he managed this feat with his reverse stick made it even more spectacular.
7. World League Semi-Final. This clip shows the top 5 goals from the semi-finals in Rotterdam. First is Charlotte Harrison's full length diving goal scored during New Zealand's encounter with India. Next is Maartje Paumen's powerful drag-flick as her side defeat India. The third in the selection is also from a Dutch stick, Sabine Mol let fly with a reverse stick shot that left the Chile defence stunned as it went in the top corner. The fourth goal was a match decider and came from Eileen Hoffman of Germany as her team defeated Korea in the semi-final of the competition. The last goal in the selection was scored by Kelly Jonker against New Zealand. This goal came courtesy of some slick build-up and the beauty of this goal was the majesty of the Dutch teamwork.
8. Men's Junior World Cup, Germany v Pakistan. Christopher Ruhr won possession on the half-way line and then ran through the Pakistan defence before slotting the ball home through a reverse stick shot. Power and balance at its best.
9. World League Semi-Final, Australia v France. Jamie Dwyer provides the not one, but five goals in this final selection. The first came as he picked up a cross and turned sharply before slamming the ball home; number two was a cheeky junk over the keeper; the third goal and fourth were deflections, proving the importance of being in the right place and the fifth goal was a poacher's goal, nipping in behind the defence and getting on the end of a loose ball.
For more great videos or to stay on top of this year's Rabobank Hockey World Cup 2014 Subscribe to us on YouTube.
Posted 8 hours ago.
Australia's Anna Flanagan explains how she helps give stray dogs in Perth a second chance.
Posted 1 day ago.
What does it mean to you being voted Goalkeeper of the Year? I’m extremely happy and I feel very honoured,...
Posted 2 days ago.
The 2016 Rio Olympic Games ticket portal is up and running, for hockey fans to register and receive information on...
Posted 2 days ago.
India Men Hockey Team captain Sardar Singh and Saba Anjum, former captain of the India Women Team, have been awarded...
Posted 3 days ago.
In just over a week, some of the best indoor hockey players in the world are descending upon Leipzig, Germany, to...
Posted 4 days ago.
Wembley SSE Arena is used to music lights and action, but when 4,000 fans from all over England descended upon the...