In addition to the topline rules that have been mentioned for the Lanco International Super Series, fans are encouraged to read over all the rules to ensure that they understand all the action while watching the tournament.
New rules for the International Super Series include:
• Each match consists of two 15 minute halves (instead of 2x35 minute halves) with only a five-minute break for halftime
• All teams have a maximum of nine players on the field (instead of 11 players)
• One player from each team must remain in the forward half at all times
• Each team can use up to 18 players (instead of 16)
• The penalty situations have been simplified to make it more broadcast friendly and easier to understand for new viewers:
– Penalty corner three attackers vs two defenders + goalkeeper
– Penalty strokes have been replaced with 1-on-1 “Face-offs” between a player and the goalkeeper with the player starting at the 23 metre line and having a 1-on-1 challenge against the waiting goalkeeper
• A penalty corner has a 25 second countdown clock – if the team does not execute a corner in this time, it will loss possession
• The 1 on 1 faceoff has an 8 second countdown clock – if the player does not execute a shot in this time he/she will loss possession
• More tolerance of foot & stick contact to reduce unnecessary stoppages in play. If the ball hits the foot outside the circle and it doesn’t influence play – ie non intentional use of foot it will be called play on. Normal foot rules apply as normal in the circle
• A bully will be used after each goal to give both teams an opportunity to gain possession
• If the ball crosses the goal-line off either a defender or attackers stick from anywhere in the field of play it is a long corner. (If the ball comes off an attackers stick inside the circle a normal goal will be awarded). The goalkeeper therefore must keep the ball in play at all times if the ball is going to cross the goal-line.
CLICK HERE to read all the rules for the tournament and dont forget, the matches will be shown on ABC and Fox Sports!
Hockey Australia media release
Posted 17 hours ago.
The Black Sticks Men battled hard but were defeated 2-1 by Korea in the sixth and final test of the series in a wet...
Posted 1 day ago.
The Hockeyroos will welcome back a number of familiar faces as they head to Europe for next month’s Investec Hockey...
Posted 2 days ago.
The Black Sticks Men have lost 1-0 against Korea at Papatoetoe Sports Centre tonight in a game full of speed and...
Posted 2 days ago.
I heard on the news yesterday that Africa has seven of the fastest growing economies in the world. Africa is reputed...
Posted 3 days ago.
Korea have beaten the Black Sticks Men 2-1 in the fourth test at Pukekohe this afternoon despite an improved...
Posted 4 days ago.
EHL Final Four hosts HC Bloemendaal have been crowned Euro Hockey League champions for a second time after winning a...